2 Non-Executive Directors - OneWeb
Appointing Department: Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
Sectors: Business, Finance & Skills, Science & Technology
Number of Vacancies: 2
Remuneration: £35,000 per annum
Time Requirements: 30 days a year
Closed for Applications: 12/11/2020
HMG recently made a successful bid for satellite communications company OneWeb, as part of a consortium with Bharti Global Limited. This new partnership, bringing together a space sector pioneer, the leader of the world’s third-largest telecommunications company and Her Majesty’s Government, will develop the world’s first low latency broadband internet system enabled by a constellation of low earth orbit satellites. In OneWeb, HMG sees the opportunity to develop a global British champion in the space sector, with a clear path to commercial success.
HMG and Bharti are looking to complete the transaction and take on control of OneWeb before the end of the year. With sufficient equity investment already committed to bring the OneWeb project on track, and discussions being held with other possible partners interested in investing in the business, the path to delivering the world’s first truly global satellite broadband network has never been more clear. OneWeb is targeting global coverage, with its first generation constellation of nearly 600 satellites, by the end of 2022 with a second generation to follow designed to quadruple bandwidth. The consortium is looking to collaborate with businesses across the world to meet these ambitious goals and open up new revenue streams across the globe.
HMG is seeking candidates to fill two minister-appointed NED roles on the board of OneWeb. In this role, you will be responsible for promoting the success of the company and the interests of HMG as a shareholder. You will be responsible for delivering the strategic priorities which motivated HMG’s investment.
Specifically, we are looking for candidates with significant commercial and board experience to fill the first role, and candidates with relevant sector experience and technical expertise to fill the second role, for which relevant sectors includes satellite communications, space, emerging technologies, defence and aerospace. The ideal candidates will also possess some understanding of HMG and its ways of working.
All candidates should be experienced, self-confident individuals who would be comfortable asserting their own view and constructively challenging the views of other board members. You should also be able to add value to the company as a whole as it moves from its current pre-revenue position to become a sustainable business, potentially generating revenue from sectors including aviation, maritime, governments, defence, cellular and enterprise connectivity. This role is likely to include participation on board committees. You will be joining a board made up of 9 directors; 3 director roles each for HMG and Bharti, 2 independent non-executives and the CEO.
Role 1: Commercial and Board
- Seeking a candidate with a track record of delivery in leadership roles at a major organisation (e.g. AIM/FTSE250 companies, Government bodies)
- Diverse experience at senior executive and board level
Role 2: Sector/Technical
- Experience in a relevant sector (including satellite communications, space, emerging technologies, defence and aerospace)
- Experience in advising major organisations or governments in an expert capacity
Desirable experience (both roles):
- A track record of delivery at a senior level for organisations under challenging or changing circumstances (e.g. M&A, IPO, transformation, restructuring)
- Experience establishing sustainable business models in pre-revenue businesses
- Recent senior experience working in or closely with HMG or relevant public bodies or in allied governments
- Experience in major infrastructure project delivery
- Experience working with international business partners or emerging markets
- Experience working in OneWeb’s target sectors (including aviation, maritime, telecoms, defence, digital connectivity)
Professional skills and qualities (both roles):
- Able to provide constructive challenge and support to management
- Able to defend the shareholder’s interests under challenging circumstances
- Excellent communication skills
- Effective stakeholder management skills
- The ability to drive delivery and successfully deliver change
- Good commercial understanding
- A good understanding of corporate governance in private and public sector contexts
- Relevant skills and experience for board committees
The Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy promotes diversity and encourages applications from all sections of the community.
The appointment will be for a period of 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 years, renewable by mutual agreement.
Please tailor your application to demonstrate how you specifically meet the criteria listed including the ‘professional skills and qualities’.
If you are shortlisted for the role, due diligence will be carried out and your referees are likely to be contacted.
How to Apply
To apply for this post please:
- Complete the Application Form by clicking here
- Submit your CV and supporting statement (making it clear if you are applying for Role 1 and/or Role 2) with the subject “OneWeb NED Application” to email@example.com
If you have any queries about the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
This campaign is being run with UK Government Investments (UKGI) and all candidates should read the UKGI Data Privacy notice attached prior to applying.
This post is NOT regulated by The Commissioner for Public Appointments.